Reportlinker Adds Status of the MEMS Industry 2010
NEW YORK, Oct. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue:
Status of the MEMS Industry 2010
The growth is back, but the industry infrastructure has changed: a limited number of companies are taking full benefit of the growth of the market. Industry is undergoing structural changes...
MEMS business was almost flat since 2007: this is good news compared to the semiconductor industry that has collapsed during that time, but as many companies have made production infrastructure investments from 2006 to 2008, 2009 has been really difficult for several MEMS manufacturers.
Growth is back, but the growth has changed: only a few companies have 8'' production infrastructure in place and it provides them a very strong cost benefit, helping them to target lower price consumer electronics applications. STM, Bosch, InvenSense (as a fabless) are taking full advantage of these changes. Now the question is: what will be the reaction of their competitors...
In parallel to this industrial situation, MEMS foundries are exiting stronger from the crisis: more system manufacturers have decided to stop internal MEMS manufacturing, so in addition to the organic growth of the MEMS fabless companies these system companies are now working with MEMS foundries. As such, MEMS foundries are extremely active at the moment with new customers looking to outsource MEMS manufacturing. This growth is attracting new players in MEMS foundry business, like TSMC, UMC... In addition, the Si interposer business opportunities, wafer level packaging and the 3D chip stacking using through silicon vias (TSV) are also growth drivers for the MEMS foundries.
Innovation in MEMS is changing: brand new devices are now launched on the market and a complete family of totally new MEMS devices are under development. The digital compass, the IR and thermography cameras, the oscillator... are driving these new generation of MEMS products.
In addition, most of the new applications are linked to new usage of existing devices (human machine interface, replacement of existing technologies...). Strong efforts are put into the packaging adaptation in order to have a cost adapted structure (packaging is more than 40% of the cost of a MEMS device on average) and enter new applications (like mobile applications). New ways to package and integrate MEMS devices in a system are fueling the growth of MEMS industries.
«Status of the MEMS industry 2010» is providing a unique 360° analysis of the evolutions of the MEMS applications and markets, with updated data on MEMS markets, analysis of the evolution of the industry from the manufacturing and innovation points of views, analysis of the strategies of the main players... For the 7th consecutive year, «Status of the MEMS industry» is the only publication which is analyzing the MEMS industry and its evolution, from key technical aspects to business strategies of the TOP30 MEMS companies.
The MEMS market reached $6.9B in 2009 and will be around $8B in 2010. So 2010 is the start of the re-growth of The MEMS business.
A restart of the growth is expected after 2010, with a CAGR of 13% in the next 5 years
The production equipment market remains low in 2009 at $140M and will restart in 2011: 2010 will be a better year, mostly in the second half.
The production infrastructure in place is sufficient to absorb the growth for the next 2 years and we will have to wait 2011 for a significant restart of the MEMS production equipment market.
MEMS foundries are facing a vigorous growth and more than 25% CAGR expected in the next 5 years.
REPORT HIGHLIGHTS * Expected evolution of the MEMS markets applications by application * Evolution of the MEMS foundry business * Evolution of the MEMS production equipment business * What is the strategy of each of the TOP30 MEMS manufacturers?
* What are the long term evolution of the MEMS markets and actual drivers of the changes of the industry
* How MEMS companies are taking benefit of changes in the packaging fields (TSV, WLP, Si Interposers...)
* Analysis of the business trends in the major 15 applications areas of MEMS devices: pressure sensor, ink jet, accelerometer, gyroscopes, silicon microphone, microfluidic devices, thermography, micro displays (including picoprojector), optical MEMS, RF MEMS...
* Long term vision of MEMS markets 2008-2020 * Analysis of the strategies of the TOP 30 MEMS manufacturers * Technology and business trends at equipment and materials level
* Detailed analysis of the evolution of the MEMS foundries business and of the main players
* Evolution of the MEMS packaging * Last 12 months M&A in MEMS * Last 12 months venture capital investments in MEMS COMPANY INDEX
ADI, AKM, AMS, Avago Technologies, Bosch Sensortec, Canon, Colibrys, Continental, Dalsa Semiconductor, Delphi, Denso, Discera, Flir, Freescale, GE, Honeywell, HP, IMT, Infineon, Kionix, Knowles Acoustics, Lexmark, Melexis, Memsic, Micralyne, Murata, Olivetti, Omron, Panasonic, Qualtré, Rhom, Seiko Epson, Schneider Electric, Silex, Silicon Sensing Systems, Silverbrook, SiTime, STMicro, Systron Donner, TI, Ulis, VTI Technologies...
"Status of the MEMS Industry" is the result of the day to day contacts of the 20 full time analysts of YOLE, interviewing more than 2,500 companies per year, from system integrators to device manufacturers to technology developers.
The market & technical information has been gathered directly at:
* System manufacturers: car equipment manufacturers, IT equipment and medical device manufacturers...
* Device manufacturers: key MEMS inertial sensor manufacturers worldwide * Equipment & materials suppliers for the MEMS industry TABLE OF CONTENTS * Introduction.... 4 Methodology.. 5 Market forecast model............ 7 Executive summary.... 8 2008-2015 MEMS markets evolution............ 26 Detailed MEMS market forecasts..... 43 Focus on motion sensing....... 61 Focus on MEMS applications for mobile phones...... 82 Long term evolution of MEMS markets.......... 99 Evolution of the MEMS industry organisation 109 M&A in MEMS........... 122 VC investment in MEMS companies 129 Evolution of the MEMS foundry business...... 138 Production trends...... 158 Trends in MEMS R&D........... 167 Evolution of the MEMS cost infrastructure..... 172 Analysis of the strategy of the main players.. 184 Scenario analysis for the next 5 years........... 192 Conclusions.. 201 Acronyms...... 205 LIST OF TABLES * MEMS devices development phase * MEMS markets forecast 2009-2015 in $ * MEMS market data 2009-2015 in $ * MEMS markets data per applications fields 2009-2015 in $ * MEMS market per applications 2009-2015 in units * Ink jet heads markets in $ and units * Pressure sensors markets in $ and units * Accelerometers markets in $ and units * Gyroscopes markets in $ and units * Optical MEMS markets in $ and units * Thermography markets in $ and units * Micro displays and picoprojectors markets in $ and units * Microfluidics markets in $ and units * RF MEMS markets in $ and units * Micro tips markets in $ and units * Emerging MEMS applications markets in $ and units * MEMS diffusion models in mobile phones
* MEMS for mobile phones applications 2009-2015 Market penetration of MEMS in mobile phones per function
* Long term evolution of MEMS markets 2008-2020 * MEMS supply chain 2009-2020 * TOP ranking of TOP30 MEMS companies * 2008-2009 comparison of TOP30 MEMS companies * Breakdown of MEMS players by business models and geographical areas * M&A in MEMS 2009-2010 * Historic analysis of M&A in MEMS 2008-2009 * VC investments in MEMS 2009-2010 * Historic data of VC investments in MEMS 2000-2009 * Status of the MEMS companies with VC investments * TOP20 MEMS foundries ranking * MEMS foundry market evolution 2009-2014 * MEMS foundry breakdown per product type 2009- 2014 * List of 8'' MEMS manufacturing facilities * MEMS product by wafer size 2009-2015 * Cost simulation of last generation of DLP from TI (S+C) * Cost simulation of InvenSense 2 axis gyroscope (S+C) To order this report:
Electronic Component and Semiconductor Industry: Status of the MEMS Industry 2010
Electronic Component and Semiconductor Business News More Market Research Report Check our Company Profile, SWOT and Revenue Analysis! Nicolas Bombourg Reportlinker Email: US: (805)652-2626 Intl: +1 805-652-2626